Step outside and take a breath of fresh air. The aroma of flowers, leaves, and bark flood your senses. From rose to lavender, your mind tends to have a sweet reaction to these natural, earth-given scents. Many parts of plants are home to aromatic compounds that radiate these beneficial fragrances: essential oils.
With every plant comes oil, and with every oil comes an array of mental and physical benefits. Here’s a quick and easy guide on some must-have essential oils and how to use them.
- Lavender: Most known for its ability to promote sleep, lavender is great to calm the mind and fight anxiety. Add some drops of the oil to your pillow or apply it to the bottoms of your feet to enhance your nightly routine.
- Eucalyptus: This oil in itself has various positive benefits. Eucalyptus not only helps to fight some bacterial strains, but it is also good for respiratory health and mental clarity. Apply a couple of drops to your chest or temples to relieve a cough or even boost your energy.
- Peppermint: When it comes to issues of the stomach, peppermint is like a natural Pepto Bismol. Apply a drop of this oil onto each wrist to help relieve nausea, gas, and indigestion.
- Tea Tree: As an antiseptic bacterial fighter, tea tree oil is often used in face washes that focus on clearing up acne. To boost your skin routine, add two drops of the oil to your facial cleanser. Tea Tree oil is a great purifier and can also help soothe skin conditions.
- Jasmine: Need a pick-me-up? Jasmine is a great essential oil for making the mind more alert and putting you in a better mood, as it helps balance hormones. Rub a couple of drops into your skin to get your head in the right space.
- Bergamot: Believe it or not, bergamot is an aroma that can help balance cholesterol and promote a normal level of blood sugar. Apply a few drops of the oil to the abdomen to kick start your digestive system. Keep in mind, bergamot oil is toxic to your furry friends! Keep away from cats and dogs.
Essential oils are a great natural booster for your body and mind that can be utilized every day. Add these key oils into your routine to promote your health and happiness. Give the saying “take time to stop and smell the flowers” a whole new meaning.