Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou, known professionally as George Michael, was an English singer, songwriter, and record producer who rose to fame as a member of the music duo Wham!
The star, who launched his career with Wham! in the 1980s and had huge success as a solo performer, “passed away peacefully” on Christmas Day in Goring, Oxfordshire, his publicist said.
Pop superstar was famous for hits including:
- Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (with Wham!) – 1984
- Freedom (with Wham!) – 1984
- Careless Whisper – 1984
- I’m Your Man (with Wham!) – 1985
- The Edge of Heaven (with Wham!) – 1986
- A Different Corner – 1986
- I Knew You Were Waiting For Me (with Aretha Franklin) – 1987
- Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me (with Elton John) – 1991
- Five Live EP (with Queen and Lisa Stansfield) – 1993
- Jesus To A Child – 1996
- Fastlove – 1996
Besides being a brilliant artist, George was also involved in many humanitarian projects.
Michael supported the N Worcestershire Bereavement Trust, and has in the past supported the Nottinghamshire Bereavement Trust. He supported many organizations which help people suffering from HIV/AIDS, including London Lighthouse and Healing Circle Holistic. He founded the Goss-Michael Foundation to promote creative arts in Dallas.
People often forget that #GeorgeMichael & A Ridgeley donated the royalties from “Last Christmas” to Band Aid.
Charities & foundations supported: 28
George Michael has supported the following charities listed below:
May your beautiful soul rest in peace, George. Thank you for all the good deeds and the brilliant music you left behind. You will be missed.